Visiting the Institute
The Institute's offices and library stacks are located on the second floor, east wing of the main building on USF's Lone Mountain campus in what was the library and reading room of the San Francisco College for Women, built in 1932. The buildings have been part of the University of San Francisco since the early 1980s.
Directions and Parking
Parking at USF is extremely limited and is the responsibility of the visitor. Public transit is recommended.
Using the Library
In order to make the best use of time and resources, please submit a brief written research proposal on your topic, which should include the resources or types of resources you wish to consult, and the dates of your proposed visit to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the Subject Line: Research Inquiry.
The more lead time and the more specific your requests, the more likely we may accommodate you.
- Make an appointment at least one week in advance and wait for confirmation.
- VISITING HOURS: 10:00-3:00 Monday through Friday, by appointment only.
- The Library is non-circulating. All materials must be used on-site.
- Visitors must make their own arrangements to access other USF sites such as the Gleeson-Geschke University Library.
During Your Visit
- Please discuss your topic with either the Director or Associate Director of Research.
- Please sign and date the visitor’s log.
- Please request all items between 10:00-10:30 or 1:00-1:30.
- To maintain good order, patrons are limited to FOUR books and/or TWO archival documents at a time.
- Laptops and digital cameras are allowed, but no technical support is available. Internet access is available.
- Many Library materials are old and/or rare. Visitors must use care in handling items; no food or drinks are allowed on work tables.
- Digital cameras are permitted and encouraged.
- One photocopier is available: 20 cents per copy.
- Some materials may NOT be copied, such as: paintings, restricted digital sources, archival documents, rare or fragile books. The Ricci Institute retains ownership and publishing rights on all archival documents. ALL COPIES ARE FOR PERSONAL RESEARCH ONLY.
2130 Fulton Street, LM280
San Francisco, CA 94117-1080, U.S.A.
Tel: 415-422-6401 Fax: 415-422-2291
©2016 The USF Ricci Institute for Chinese-Western Cultural History