|| The USF Ricci Institute was founded in 1984 by Fr.
Edward J. Malatesta, S.J., Theodore N. Foss, Ph.D., and Sr. Mary Celeste
The Institute traces its origins to Fr. Francis Rouleau,
S.J., who taught at the Jesuit Theologate in Shanghai and lived in China
from 1929 to 1952. Fr. Rouleau, along with Fr. Thomas Carroll, S.J., had
for many years been collecting and studying materials on early Sino-Western
cultural contacts at the Sacred Heart Center in Los Gatos and originally
called their endeavor the Sino-Jesuit History Project, with a
focus on the Chinese Rites Controversy.
In 1982 Fr. Malatesta secured offices at
the University of San Francisco Lone Mountain Campus and the project archives
were moved to the new location. The day after Fr. Rouleau's death in 1984,
Malatesta, Foss, and Rouleau founded the Institute for Chinese-Western
Cultural History (ICWCH)
with the intention of continuing and broadening the long Jesuit history
of sinological research. This was greatly facilitated by the arrival of
the Chinese Library of the Society of Jesus (Bibliotheca Sinensis
Societatis Iesu) in 1985, which had been compiled in Hong Kong by
the Chinese-Peruvian Jesuit, Fr. Albert Chan, S.J., a Harvard-trained expert
in Ming history.
In 1988, the newly renamed Ricci Institute for Chinese-Western
Cultural History was officially incorporated into the University of San
Francisco as a research arm of the Center for the Pacific Rim which was founded